Maths at Grove Primary School
Maths Curriculum Intent
To 'bring out the best in everyone' we want every learner to be confident mathematically and have a strong conceptual understanding that enables them to successfully apply their knowledge in a range of different contexts preparing them for the world around them and life after Grove Primary School.
- Pupils become increasingly fluent with whole numbers and the four operations, including number facts and the concept of place value.
- This should ensure that pupils develop efficient written and mental methods and perform calculations accurately with increasingly large whole numbers.
- As pupils progress, they will extend their understanding of the number system and place value to include larger integers. This should develop the connections that pupils make between multiplication and division with fractions, decimals, percentages and ratio.
- Pupils can recall and remember key mathematical knowledge (including technical vocabulary) and build on this knowledge.
- Children have opportunities to reason and master a range of maths skills, applying them to a wide range of contexts.
- Children can confidently use a wide range of mathematical vocabulary.
- Children can think independently and persevere when faced with challenges.
- Children understand the importance of mathematics and the role it has in adult life.
At Grove Primary School, we believe that times tables are a key foundation for all further mathematical understanding.
With the National Curriculum changes in 2014 and new statutory assessments being implemented in Year 4 2019, there are greater demands on children knowing and being secure in their multiplication and division facts up to 12 x 12.
We use Times Tables Rockstars to learn, practise and assess times tables. Each child has their own username and password which allows them to develop their understanding of times tables in school and at home.
Click here to login to Times Tables Rockstars.