At Grove Primary School and Nursery, we are dedicated to developing each child’s abilities within an integrated programme of speaking and listening, reading and writing. Children will be given opportunities to interrelate the requirements of the English curriculum within a broad and balanced approach to the teaching of English across the curriculum, with opportunities to consolidate and practice taught literacy skills.
We strive for all children to become competent readers and writers. By the end of Key Stage Two, we aim for a child to be able to:
- Read easily, fluently and with good understanding;
- Develop the habit of reading widely and often, for both pleasure and information;
- Acquire a wide vocabulary, an understanding of grammar and knowledge of linguistic conventions for reading, writing and spoken language;
- Appreciate our rich and varied literary heritage;
- Write clearly, accurately and coherently, adapting their language and style in and for a range of contexts, purposes and audiences;
- Use discussion in order to learn; they should be able to elaborate and explain clearly their understanding and ideas;
- Be competent in the arts of speaking and listening, making formal presentations, demonstrating to others and participating in debates.