The internet is an amazing resource which enables children and young people to connect, communicate and be creative in a number of different ways, on a range of devices.
However, the internet is always changing, and being able to keep up to date with your children’s use of technology can be a challenge. (www.saferinternet.org.uk)
Keep talking to your child about what they are doing online.
- understand that they'll be using the internet to research homework as well talking to their friends.
- ask your child to show you what they enjoy doing online
- be positive but also open about anything you're worried about. You could say "I think this site's really good" or "I'm a little worried about things I've seen here."
- ask them if they're worried about anything, and let them know they can come to you.
- ask them about their friends online and how they know they are who they say they are
- ask your child what they think's okay for children of different ages so they feel involved in the decision making (from NSPCC.org.uk)