This half term, we are focusing on a non-fiction text. We are going to review our previous Science learning and dive back into our rock topic. Our key learning outcome is to write own version of two of the double-page spreads in the book, which are based on:
• What are sedimentary rocks?
• What are fossils?
Our grammar focus is to:
• Choose nouns or pronouns accurately for clarity and cohesion and to avoid repetition;
• Use conjunctions, adverbs (e.g. then, next, soon, therefore) and prepositions (e.g. before, after, during, in, because of) to express time, place and cause;
• Use fronted adverbials;
• Use commas after fronted adverbials
• To introduce paragraphs as a way to group related material and use of paragraphs to organise ideas around a theme;
• Use headings and subheadings to aid presentation;
• Appropriate use of pronoun or noun within and across sentences to aid cohesion and avoid repetition.
Our reading focus is to:
• Develop positive attitudes to reading and understanding of what they read by reading books that are structured in different ways and reading for a range of purposes;
• Understand what they read, in books they can read independently, by:
• Checking that the text makes sense to them, discussing their understanding and explaining the meaning of words in context;
• Asking questions to improve their understanding of a text;
• Identifying how language, structure and presentation contribute to meaning;
• Retrieve and record information from non-fiction.