The aim of these sessions is to provide pupils with the opportunity to find out more about how networks work, understand computer networks including the internet, learn how they can provide multiple services, such as the World Wide Web, and explore the opportunities they offer for communication and collaboration.
Lesson 1: To discover what the pupils know about the internet.
• Pupils know the difference between the World Wide Web and the internet.
• Extension: Pupils can provide examples of the difference between the World Wide Web and the Internet.
Lesson 2: To find out what a LAN and a WAN are. To find out how we access the internet in school.
• Pupils know about their school network.
• Extension: Pupils can explain the differences between more than two network types such as: LAN, WAN, WLAN and SAN.
Lesson 3: To research and find out about the age of the internet. To think about what the future might hold.
• Pupils have researched and found out about Tim Berners-Lee.
• Pupils have considered some of the major changes in technology which have taken place during their lifetime and the lifetime of their teacher/another adult.